The Institute has an extensive collection of botanical books and journals. The library has always sought to have the most authoritative texts of the day and many predate the Institute.
Books and long runs of journals have been acquired through purchase, donation and often by association with botanists.
Members are welcome to use the library but books can only be used on-site.
· a large and interesting collection of vice-county floras
· standard UK floras
· floras from around the world
· gardening reference books
· extensive literature covering fungi, mosses and lichens
· early taxonomy works from Europe
· BSBI (Botanical Society of the British Isles) handbooks
· nomenclature literature
plus books on
· ecology and habitats
· plant physiology
· botanical painting
· gardening history, to name but a few.