Membership of the South London Botanical Institute is open to all who have an interest in the plant kingdom.
It was the firm belief of our founder, Allan Octavian Hume, that all people, irrespective of experience or social background, should enjoy the opportunity to learn about plants.
The Institute has a diverse membership, including amateur and professional botanists, gardeners, artists, photographers, ecologists, writers, campaigners and others who have an urge to learn more about plants.
Membership offers the following benefits:
- Use of facilities during opening hours and by appointment, including our botanic garden, library, herbarium and microscopes (once it is safe to re-open due to Covid-19 closures).
- Advance notice of our online and in-person courses, lectures, botanical field trips and workshops, with membership discounts on many events
- Receipt of our twice yearly publication, the SLBI Gazette*, to which members may submit articles reflecting their own varied botanical interests
- Up to 10 packets of seeds from our annual Seed List of seeds collected from the SLBI garden and members
- Invitations to member-only events
- The chance to join a community of plant lovers from all ages and backgrounds, and to support the future of botanical education in South London
*Our Gazettes are currently posted out to all members. To see an example of a recent Gazette, please click here, or view our special issue, Lockdown Gazette June 2020
- Join online (Paypal or credit/debit card): Please use the form on the right of this page.
- Join by post (cheque or bank transfer) Fill in and return our Membership Form 2021-22
If you have any queries about joining please contact us.
Why not give a year’s membership or a workshop as a gift?
Fill out our Gift Membership Form, email or post it to us, and we will do the rest.