- This event has passed.
The Fox Got You
Monday, 9th November 2015, 10:00 - Saturday, 28th November 2015, 17:00
The Fox Got You is a photographic installation celebrating six common plants which are at the origin of five major medicinal drugs. This is the first London showing, after a successful run at the Oxford Botanic Garden. The plants and drugs featured are as follows:
- Foxglove (Digitalis lanata & D. purpurea) and the drug Digoxin for the treatment of heart arrhythmia.
- Goat’s rue (Galega officnalis) and the drug Metaformin for diabetes.
- Yew (Taxus bacata) and the chemotherapy drugs Paclitaxel and Docetaxel.
- Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) and the drug Colchicine for gout.
- Meadowsweet and willow (Filipendula ulmaria & Salix alba) and Aspirin.
The exhibition brings together the plants, the drugs, the clinicians, the patients, the people making the drugs and the scientists researching how these diseases affect our body. By revealing the powers behind some of the plants, this exhibition offers a unique insight into the way we are made and changed by the natural world.
Meet the artist Thursday 19th 6.30 – 8.00 pm & Saturday 28th 2.00 – 5.00 pm
The exhibition will be open during usual SLBI opening times on Thursdays 10 am – 4 pm and for its final week will be open on Sat 21 Nov (10-2.30), Mon 23 Nov (11-1) and Tues 24 Nov (10-4) too – as well the Meet the Artist on Sat 28 Nov (2-5pm). But please ring for alternative possible visits if none of these suit you, and we will let you know if we can be here.